Friday, March 2, 2012

Strep....Yuck!


Well....my little girl has strep throat. Im still totally confused as to how she even GOT strep throat...shes a stay at home baby, we are hardly EVER around other kids, besides my sisters two girls, and while they are in daycare neither of them have had strep recently..nevertheless she has it! I actually wouldn't have found out until next thursday at her well check if I hadn't taken her into the Dr. yesterday! She had just been acting really strange. I wrote on the post before last that Leighton had started taking all her naps again, sleeping through the night etc. Well last Sunday she started waking around 5:00 am, then wouldn't take her full naps at all. That was the first sign something was off, then her appetite decreased, she's been eating about the same amount of formula and solids since 5 months old, so I knew something was up when she started to do that. Then came the ear grabbing...so for sure I thought ear infection, I could treat that naturally, so I wasn't worried about it. Then she started gagging on nothing, and randomly throwing up...not baby spit up..vomit. weird? So yesterday I consented and called the Dr.

First of all let me tell you how much we love our Dr. He's the sweetest, most loving, Christian man, he always ALWAYS makes me feel like I'm NOT crazy, he assures me, lets me know people are praying for her...something Drs normally don't say...and tells me how perfect she is every time. We just love him. He doesn't totally see eye-to-eye with my holistic approach to things, but he's respectful of it and thats enough for me!! My life is a constant battle with 50% people who agree with it, and 50% people who don't. And thats totally fine, I'm not shoving it down anyones throat, you raise your way...ill raise mine..and we will all be ok! :)

So anywhoo! He looked in her ears, no infection at all, Looked at her teeth, said absolutely no teeth what-so-ever.. ( great! )..he also said she might just be a sensitive teether..loooovely. Then he checked her throat. The MINUTE he finally got the tongue depressor down there, and away from my child who automatically assumed it needed to be consumed, along with the paper they cover the tables with, his stethoscope, and everything else in arms reach..all he said was "Oh MY!" He let me know her tonsils were extremely inflamed, blood red, and COVERED in puss pockets. :( poor girl, she had been battling strep for almost a full week and I didn't know! He said based on her attitude he would have never guessed something was wrong with her. She was literally cracking up, playing with everything, singing, talking, being so fun! She always is! Well, at least I can be thankful she's good at being sick, she must get that from me, deff not her daddy!! :)

So I left with my sick child, a prescription in hand, and $25 less in my bank account. And of course the decision...to fill the prescription, or try something else. I sat in the car, sent a couple messages to friends, called a couple people, dropped the prescription off "just-in-case" and went home to do some research..duh haha! After about 2 hours, while Leighton was napping, and talking to some friends again, I realized there is absolutely NO holistic treatment for strep throat, actually one all natural web site I usually look at said that they recommend on children under 2 to TAKE the anti-biotic. Strep untreated in infants can cause kidney failure and brain damage! I had NO idea. They did however recommend to up their pro-biotic intake, and to make sure they were still on vitamin D and Elderberry supplements to make sure their immune systems remained functioning at a high rate, since the antibiotic was going to kill the bad AND good bacteria in her body. So with a heavy heart, I'm giving Leighton the prescription, along with probiotics, elderberry and vitamin D. I know it won't kill her, it probably won't even have long term effects on her, but I hate the idea of the "maybe" aspect in there. Praying she won't get it again for a long, long, time. Or anything else for that matter! RSV in January, Strep in February..March- be good to us please! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment